India has been rightly called as the “Diabetes Capital of the World” in recent times. Truly, with more than 50-60 million people suffering from Type-2 diabetes, it is not only an alarming fact that raises a lot of eyebrows but a matter of grave concern for both the healthcare authorities of the country and the nation as a whole.
Though Diabetes Mellitus is one of the most discussed ailments all across the globe but the awareness in India, is relatively low.That is why here an attempt is made to bring to you the most significant facts related to this condition and preventive measures that should be adopted by every diabetic to lead a normal and healthy life.
What Are the Causes of Diabetes?
The actual cause of diabetes differs from one person to another depending on the family history, genetics, health, ethnicity as well as environmental factors. As a result, it can be said that a number of factors contribute towards the different types of diabetes namely –Type 1 diabetes, Type 2 diabetes as well as Gestational diabetes.
The most common type of diabetes, in this case, happens to be the Type 2 diabetes. Obesity, aging population, leading a sedentary life and unhealthy diet enhance the chances for this type of diabetes to develop.
Keep Your Eyes Open for these Major Symptoms of Diabetes
High blood glucose level is the major cause of diabetes. This, in turn, happens because of the less or no production of insulin. The body’s inability to accept insulin can also be the case that gives rise to diabetes. You must visit the doctor immediately if you come across any of these symptoms mentioned below.
- More urges of washroom visit for peeing
- Greater fatigue and hunger tendencies
- Dry mouth
- Unusual thirst
- Blurred vision
- Itchy skin
- Slow wound healing
- Leg numbness and infection
- Infection of the skin
Is It Possible to Prevent Diabetes?
- No! It’s Not Possible to Prevent Type 1 and Gestational Diabetes
Unfortunately, gestational diabetes (during pregnancy) and Type 1 diabetes (in children) cannot be prevented. But the risks associated with it can be controlled and managed with a good lifestyle, the right medication, and the effective dietary plan.
- Yes! It’s Possible to Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
Genetics play a vital role towards the development of the Type 2 diabetes. But according to the various clinical trials all across the globe, a structured healthy diet and an active lifestyle can pull the genetic factor down and prevent the onset of the Type 2 diabetes completely.
Can Diabetes be Cured?
No! Diabetes cannot be completely cured. But it can be controlled and managed to a great extent.
In order to control diabetes, you need a comprehensive diabetes treatment plan by an expert doctor. It requires a balanced amalgamation of a planned diet, exercise and medication. It should incorporate constant blood glucose level monitoring followed by routine check-ups by other professionals of healthcare like nutritionist, foot doctor, gynecologist, ophthalmologist as well as an endocrinologist.
Measures to Control Diabetes
Controlling your diabetes requires a lot of patience, meticulous observation, and unfailing dedication. It can be said to be a yearly, monthly, weekly and daily challenge. But you can rest assured that it is every bit worth the effort.
You will feel more energetic and healthy throughout the day as you start exercising. There are also much less diabetes-related risks that involve blindness, kidney failure, strokes and even heart attacks if you follow the strict regimen.
The way to prevent diabetes is to keep the blood sugar level as close to the normal level as possible. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Regulate Your Carbs –These actually affect your blood glucose level greatly. That is why you should keep track of the amount that you intake. Per meal, women require 35-45 grams while guys require 45-60 grams of carbs.
- Take Exercise as Your Medicine – This should be followed religiously if you have diabetes. You have to dedicate minimum 150 hours to working out every week. This can be divided into smaller chunks like 30 minutes each day for five days every week. This does not mean that you have to visit the gym and be a gym-addict. Just walking, running or cycling can be sufficient for you. Ask your doctor for an exercise plan.
- Never Miss Your Routine Check-ups with Your Team of Doctors – Diabetes is an ailment that involves your complete body. That is why, you should build a dream team of physicians that include your doctor, nurse, dentist, nutritionist, foot doctor and many others and go for regular check-ups.
- Spot Check Your Sugar Level – It is true that you and your doctor will check your sugar level on a regular basis but you should always check on top of that. Spot checking your blood glucose level is of utmost significance for any diabetic so that apt measures can be taken on time before it is too late. For that, you must always keep and carry a quality glucometer from a reputed brand so that you can regularly check your level of blood glucose and gain better control of your condition.
- Keep a Track of Your Numbers – Just checking the blood sugar levels is not enough when you suffer from diabetes as this disease affects your entire body. You need to keep a track of your blood pressure, weight as well as your cholesterol level. Only then you can live a risk-free life.
The above are some the ways in which you can manage and control your diabetes and lead a happy and healthy life.