As I write this we have 83 cases of Covid (Novo Corona Virus) cases in India with 2 fatalities. So far I believe the government has done a great job considering the global nature of the epidemic and the fatalities.
Unfortunately during these crises I see many news and internet channels spreading misinformation and rumors. I would advise everyone only to rely on the government of India Sites. In this case the site of the ministry of health and family welfare site, https://www.mohfw.gov.in/
One of the things that I learned on the site is the procedure for self-quarantine. Here are some of the key steps.
- Stay in a well-ventilated single-room preferably with an attached/separate toilet.
- If another family member needs to stay in the same room, it’s advisable to maintain a distance of at least 1 meter between the two.
- Needs to stay away from elderly people, pregnant women, children and persons with co-morbidities within the household.
- Restrict his/her movement within the house.
- Under no circumstances attend any social/religious gathering e.g. wedding, condolences, etc. He should also follow the under mentioned public health measures at all times:
- Wash hand as often thoroughly with soap and water or with alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid sharing household items e.g. dishes, drinking glasses, cups, eating utensils, towels, bedding, or other items with other people at home.
- Wear a surgical mask all the time. The mask should be changed every 6-8 hours and disposed off. Disposable masks are never to be reused.
- Masks used by patients / caregivers/ close contacts during home care should be disinfected using ordinary bleach solution (5%) or sodium hypochlorite solution (1%) and then disposed of either by burning or deep burial. •
- The used masks should be considered as potentially infected. •
- If symptoms appear (cough/fever/difficulty in breathing), he/she should immediately inform the nearest health center or call 011-23978046.
For more details on the steps please visit the GOI site for the Ministry of health and family welfare. The link is on the side- https://www.mohfw.gov.in/DraftGuidelinesforhomequarantine.pdf
Please also note the following numbers and email for communication on Corona Virus
The Helpline Number for corona-virus : +91-11-23978046
The Helpline Email ID for corona-virus : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please stay safe and prevention is better than cure.